Summer School 2020
German Engineering, Language & Culture
Herzlich Willkommen: Come over and get to know more about Germany
Are you thinking of coming to Germany for your studies? This is the perfect opportunity to get to know the language, learn something about German culture and taste that wonderful beer everybody is talking about.
A program of regular German classes, mixed with intercultural training and lessons in engineering will not only help you advance your later career, but provide a lot of fun for sure. You will have the chance to meet other students and learn about their projects, for example the RUB Student Race car team. We will organize a Meet & Greet with students who founded their own companies and will share their interesting stories with you. We will help you get all the information needed, e.g. to do your Master’s degree in Bochum.
Apart from lessons we will take you on trips around the area, learn everything about the area’s fascinating history. What makes German barbecue so special? You will find out!
Who knows, maybe you will find new contacts that will turn into the most amazing international friendships?
- Week 1 : Cultural Training
- History and premises of the Ruhr University
- History of the Ruhr Area and the meaning of “Strukturwandel”
- Intercultural Training
- Meet & Greet with Entrepreneurs / Start-Ups
- Research and academic work
- Week 2 : German Engineering
- Branches of engineering in Germany
- Engineering in Action: The RUB Student Race car team
- Energy Recovery for Electric Vehicles
- Workshop Learning Factory: Digital Assistant Systems in Production
- Visit to the labs of the department of Energy System Technology
- Multiple Choice Exam
Excursions & Leisure activities include:
- Factory tour of Thyssen Krupp Duisburg
- Summer Barbecues
- A visit to the Botanical Gardens
- Campus Tour
- Visit to the Old Towns of Cologne and Düsseldorf
Discover our other Summer Schools here.
“The Summer School is really perfect for me. People here are very nice! Thank you! Danke!”
“I love the historic places and the student party was also wonderful! Girls in Germany love dancing and they dance really well. What a nice country!”
“The trips were amazing, I enjoyed the visit to Cologne Cathedral the most! The architecture is so impressive!”
“The professors were very interesting and so nice. What impressed me most was the visit to the steel-plant! Gigantic!”
“Before coming to Germany, I had never seen such beautiful industrial sites. As a major in mechanical engineering, I was impressed by the greatness of the industry, while standing on the tower above the industrial park.”
“I spent a great time with lovely professors, teachers & classmates.”
“I really loved the Learning Factory, because you can experience the process of industrial production basically with your own hands.”